Wednesday, August 6, 2008

SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET - ramblings







lately, i've been a little nostalgic. with the recent activity of 'high school reunions' on Facebook, i've been thinking of that era in my life...sometimes reluctantly, sometimes with a smile on my face; and then the recent re-discovery of some artwork i did in college, it all has caused me to revisit past processes and techniques and loves...mainly in art.

i've been struggling with the over saturated blogland out there because there is so much amazing talent and i get so wrapped up in the brilliance, it sometimes leads to intimidation. and then, sometimes i'll see ideas that i had once thought of doing being done and it upsets me that i didn't get to it sooner. so, then that leads to paralysis, of the creative kind. it's one big self sabotage snowball. I look at blogs and the lack of fear written in them, they are so confident and show no vulnerability. i like to show mine sometimes, i am human. ALL artists are vulnerable, some just choose to not show it and that is fine. for me, wearing it on my sleeve (occasionally) is okay.

here are some new pieces i have been working on. more on the fine art side, if you will. they don't have imagery on them yet, but will. i do love them just the way the are though too...so i am sort of torn. i'm thoroughly enjoying the process of making them and the way they evolve and the fact that the techniques i'm using don't allow for complete control. accidental art maybe? with a hint of deliberateness.

as for the blog front, i'm on a bit of a fast. i will visit my faves of course, but try not to get wrapped up and spend more time in the studio.

and here is a computer sketch i did before i physically did any of the paintings/collages. to give you a hint of what i am after!


2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oooo, I really, really love these. Really a lot.

Rita Vindedzis said...

Came across this post after having a look at the new bits listed in your Etsy. Love Love Love your work!! And I do so understand what you're talking about here. I too have been hit by the self sabotage snowball on occasion.