Sunday, September 28, 2008

10 years

while everyone was at ACL yesterday (and all weekend), i took some time to venture to my old stomping grounds, San Marcos, with old school mates/friends for Eric Weller's Photography Exhibit opening at Texas State University. i never had Eric as a professor, but i used it as an opportunity to hopefully run into the ones i did have in undergrad and who so influenced my life. i got to see Michel Conroy which i was so happy about. she was my ceramics prof (which was my concentration). we spoke briefly, which is typical of such events..brief discussion...and vowed to keep in better touch. it meant a lot to me to have her say that. since graduating, there is always this sense of 'am i letting my old teachers down by not being this awesome artist who is teaching, blah blah blah" and she really validated me in positive ways last evening and it was relieving. it's like letting down your parents in a way...no one wants to do it, but you live your life to the best of your abilities and see where the pieces fall. here it is 10 years later, and she still said "it's not too late" to go to grad school. not something that i am currently considering, but she still believes in me and that is awesome. thanks michel!

it was a pleasant surprise to run into my friend Derrick and have a few drinks one on one before other friends showed up at The Restless Wind for fun times. i miss these people in my life and the discussions that can happen. i need to make a better effort to stay in contact with them. fo sho.

No comments: